Origins of the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs
The Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs ( hereafter the "Chaîne") is a French association influent in the world, coming under the French law, especially rules and regulations relating toassociations (Law of July 1, 1901 and Decree of August 16, 1901) and the present statutes.
French is the official language of the Chaîne and the French texts are the only texts binding the Chaîne. The Brand name "Chaîne des Rôtisseurs" and its logo are the exclusive property of the international Chaîne; they are subject of both a national and international registration. The Chaîne is a non profit association for an unlimited period.
The Chaîne is composed of all individuals and legal entities of various nationalities (French and foreign ones), amateurs of good food and professionals having accepted the present statutes in accordance with the rules of admission provided for by the by-laws.
The objective of the Chaîne is to promote gastronomy and the culinary art in their broadest sense, whether it involves food or drinks, in all countries, by encouraging in particular the development of the culinary arts, especially grilling and spit-roast cooking techniques ; and more generally, to carry out all acts, to perform all ancillary activities related to the objective or which may facilitate its achievement.
The Chaîne shall implement its objectives through the organization, among others and without limitation, of meals, conferences, conventions, competitions, chapter meetings, exhibitions, culinary and gastronomic demonstrations, press articles and publications regardless the form or the medium. The resources of the Chaîne are those allowed by the laws and regulations in force.
The origins of the Chaîne des Rôtisseurs stem back to the Middle Ages when the first Guilds were formed in Europe. It was these Guilds which were largely responsible for the birth of the arts including classical music, literature, painting and the theatre. Among them was culinary art which was promoted by the Guild of Spit-Roasters, Les Ayeurs, which was constituted in 1248 by St Louis, King of France.
The official coat of Arms of the Confrérie (logo) was awarded in 1610 by Royal patent by King Louis XII. It consists of two crossed turning spits and 4 larding needles, surrounded by the flames of the hearth on a shield encircled by Fleur-de-lis and chain. The chain represents the mechanism used to turn the spit. The outer chain along with the legend was added in 1950 to represent the bond which unites the members of our fraternity.
As with all the Guilds, the membership consisted of Apprentices, Companions and Masters who received their titles after presenting their masterpiece to the Elders.
Les Ayeurs were given the special privilege of roasting geese which were particularly appreciated at that time.
Royal Patronage was bestowed in 1610 with the official coat of arms of the arms of the Maitrise des Rôtisseurs. The Guild continued to develop until 1789 but, together with all the Guilds, it was dissolved after the French Revolution.
Although culinary art continued to flourish, it was not until 1950 that three gastronomes - Cumonsky, Prince elect of Gastronomes; Dr Auguste Becart; and Jean Valby - teamed up with two professionals, Louis Giraudin and Marcel Darin, and pledged to restore the spirit of the Guild. In 1950 they founded the Confrérie de la Chaîne des Rôtisseurs which is now established in 86 countries and has a 21,000 membership.